Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Scrap Yarn is for the Birds!


It's spring, and the birds are starting to build their nests for their babies. I have heard of saving your scrap pieces to give to birds but I have never seen a nest built with the scraps. I plan to roam the hills, valleys and national forest around my house in hopes of finding a colorful nest softened by bits of wool, cashmere, silk, and acrylics in a jumble of chartuese, echu, hot pink or amethyst.

This started last week when I made a pom pom for one of the JJ Baby hats (see pattern in archives), and it was one sorry-looking pom pom. I hated tossing all that yarn away, so I decided to donate them to my fine feathered friends. I have a few of these suet holders from our winter feeding activities, and instead of storing them away, I am putting them to a spring use. Every time I snip some yarn off from sewing seams or weaving in ends, I put them in a little container. I finally have enough (it took only a couple of days) to fill the suet holder. The good thing is the holes are big enough for the birds to easily grab the yarn and fly away with it. 

I hooked the holder onto a branch of tree just outside our deck. It is right by the bird feeder so we should already have an audience.

Okay, birdies, it's ready. Starting building.  Meanwhile, I'm going back to my needles.

8 comments:

  1. Have done this here in Texas....and some interesting color showed up in our trees! Great idea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Acrylic yarns should be avoided because they don't biodegrade easily, and also could be a problem if ingested. It's best to stick to natural materials for use by the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea~ Thank you also to Shelly for the info about natural yarns ~ ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, if you cut hair (I cut my husband's and son's hair) and put that out for the birds for their nesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who knew! Great idea. I have those suet feeders too.
    Will cut up some cotton yarn for the babies to snuggle in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great idea!!! I usually cut cotton yarn into peices and place them on the ground near the bird feeder or on the branches of bush near the feeder. I love seeing my litte friends get the yarn and use it. It also drives my cats (indoor only) crazy watching the birds fly off with brightly colored yarn hanging from their beaks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I learned to do this when I attended needlepoint lessons. Now I am back into knitting big time. I am trying to remember the name (term) we applied to these scraps of fiber. Does anyone know?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete