Monday, July 21, 2014

Making Peace with Cables

I don't know what it is, but I am not crazy about doing cables. I will do them if I really like the pattern but if I see a sweater with cables, I just glaze over it and go onto the next pattern. Don't get me wrong. When I make cables, they are beautiful. But then ...

Maybe it is because cables are very time-consuming. I am a fast knitter and this pattern is not fast. Normally, I can knock a couple of hats in a weekend but a pattern with cables take much, much longer.

So then why would I do a pattern that requires me to do an entire row of cables every four stitches, every other row?  Because I just love this hat. I did more cables in the week I did this hat than I have probably done my entire knitting life (of over 55 years!). But it is very repetitive which makes it a great pattern for putting in my purse and taking it with me. The only problem is I kept losing my cable needle! It has a wonderful fit and just a great slouch. The pattern is in the Interweave Knits, Summer 2014, and it is called the Nautilus Hat. The cable looks more like a rib and makes the hat very study.

I liked how this hat turned out so much that I will probably do it again in another color. So I am making my peace with cables and giving those cabled patterns a more lingering look in the future.

2 comments:

  1. Stop using a cable needle and you won't have to worry about losing them. You totally don't need one for cables that small. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will have to show me the next time I see you.

    ReplyDelete