Sunday, February 16, 2014

I Love This Hat!! Downton Hat Finished

I bet I have made over 300 hats in the past 20 years, maybe more. But I have to admit that this is one of the most fun hats I have ever made. I made this hat in an alpaca wool double knit and basically followed the pattern as written. (If you have read my blog, you know that is not always easy for me).

It took several days because I used 2.75 mm needles. With such little needles and as many as 136 stitches in one round, you just seem to knit and knit without making any progress. So this is one of those patterns that are easy to take along when you are riding in the car, waiting in the doctor's office, on your lunch hour, etc. I even knit during my women's circle meetings. Gradually, the hat grows in length, and you see the beauty of the yarn and the stitch pattern emerge. Finally, the hat is done, and you try it on. It fits beautifully and it is incredibly warm!

Like the rest of the country, we have had some very, very cold weather in Colorado with the coldest temperatures that we have had in 20 years. Usually I don't like to wear really warm clothing (yes, I am the rare creature that loves the cold weather), but this hat is perfect for some of those below-zero days and nights.

I am now going down to my yarn room to see what yarn I will use to make another Downton Hat. Stay tuned!

If you make this pattern, I would like to see your final hat, so be sure to sent it to me! My email is pribfam@gmail.com. I look forward to seeing them.


2 comments:

  1. The crown on your hat looks just a bit more rounded than the pattern, not that it makes any difference in the least. The smaller stitches do indeed give it a more refined look. Marvelous job indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! That might be more how the hat sits on the model. As I am looking at it on the table in front of me, it is pretty flat. It's ironic that the temperatures today are in the 60's so it will be too warm to wear tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete