Sunday, February 17, 2013

Babs Cowl - Free Pattern



I have a lot of single -- or orphan -- skeins in my stash. I usually use them to make hats. If I don't have enough of one skein, I add a brim with another color or similar yarn. Lately I have been getting into cowls. They are great because they do just about anything a scarf can do without the tails. I also seem to lose scarves more often when they fall off the back of a chair or while walking. Cowls just stay in place.

I used this wonderful Chalet Alpaca yarn which is lusciously soft! I purchased one skein of this yarn without knowing what I wanted to make with it, but I had to have it. Touching this yarn is similar to putting your hand into a cloud. It comes in natural colors and I may have to locate some more to make a hat. 

I named this cowl after my cousin Babette. She is only about six months younger than me, and we have basically spent our entire lives together. I grew up on a farm and Babs would come about and spend summers on the farm with me. We had no idea that our childhoods were so perfect.



Babs Cowl




The Babs Cowl is elastic and loose-fitting, a perfect accessory to keep your neck warm on a breezy day. It is knitted in the round in a rib set off by a garter stitch that is very easy and fun to do and creates a beautiful rib. The nice part about these cowls is that they can be made with just one skein of yarn of approximately 100 yards. 


Materials:
1 skein Chalet Yarn by Classic Elite Yarns (70% Baby Alpaca, 30% bamboo)
98 yds/50 gr ball)
Size 10 (4mm) 16” circular needle
Stitch marker
Yarn needle
Gauge: 2” = 6 stitches

Cast on 104 stitches. Join being careful not to twist the stitches. Place marker to note the beginning of the round.
Row 1: *K
Row 2: *K1, P6, K1. Repeat from * around to marker.
Continue these 2 rows for approximately 5 inches or until you have enough to bind off. Bind off loosely in pattern.
Cut yarn, leaving an 8” tail. Cut yarn and secure tightly.  Weave in ends.

 
This free pattern is also available on Craftsy pattern store. http://www.craftsy.com/user/4370/pattern-store.



No comments:

Post a Comment