Friday, August 23, 2013

Basic Socks - Wild Yarns

I love self-striping yarn. I especially love it in socks. I change colors without having to carry several strands of yarn or weaving in ends along the sides of the sock. I have also fallen in love with this yarn.  It is Diversity from Plymouth Yarn and it comes in wonderful colors. I usually don't go for acrylic yarns, but I had to make an exception for this one. The feel is super soft and the colors are vibrant.  This color is called Violets, but I also purchased the yarn in Denim and Zebra.  I am working on the Zebra now, which is gray, white and black.

I decided not to match up the stripes from one sock to the other which is why you see two different socks of the same colors. But because with these bright colors, it just didn't seem to matter.

With self-striping yarns, I usually don't do a lace or rib pattern. A pattern seems to take away from the stripes -- or the stripes seem to take away from the pattern -- I'm not sure which it is.  Besides, this is what I work on while I take the train to work. I don't have to think about the pattern; I just knit away. My train ride is about 35 minutes, so I can get quite a bit done on the way to and from work. So stay with the basics.

I have been knitting all my life (I learned when I was 4 or 5 years old), so I am very comfortable with double pointed needles. It makes my project more compact on the train as well. Can you imagine my circular needles flaying all over the place on the train? I could poke someone's eye out!

I am working on writing up my basic sock pattern and will be posting it tomorrow. I know there are about a thousand patterns for basic socks out there, so you can use any one you want. Because of that, my pattern will be free.

Back to the needles.



3 comments:

  1. Gotta love it when the yarn does all the work.....great looking socks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand why you have fallen in love with the yarn! Such a lovely yarn doesn't need a complicated pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  3. New to your blog and sock knitting. Excited about your basic pattern. Need a good one.
    Love your deer boys. captions so funny. My son lives in Denver. Alene

    ReplyDelete