Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Free Lacy Scarf Pattern -- the Diva Scarf

The DC Divas and Hubbies.
Back row left: Tom and Susan Littman,
Paul Sanzo, Me and Ken.
Middle row, Katy Hoxworth,
Mo Sanzo
Front row: Tom and Linda Pelo
When my sons were in high school, they were very active in both music and theater. Since we were active parents in our kids' lives, we fed marching band kids and sold theater tickets. I even went to Scotland with Lorne's high school theater group to play the piano for their musical when they performed at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. They made life-long friends, but as with all of us, once they went to college and lives as adults, they didn't always keep in touch.

While they were making life-long friends, so were Ken and I. I became friends with parents of my sons' friends as well. However, even though our kids scattered to the winds (from New York to California), we, the mothers, decided we enjoyed each other so much, we were going to stay connected in spite of our kids.

That was several years ago. Now, about every six weeks, our group, which we call the DC Diva (Douglas County Divas), get together for a potluck at one of our homes. We celebrate all the weddings and personal accomplishments of our kids but are also intricately entwined in each other's lives. There are five of us, with a combined number of 8 kids.

So I wanted to make special gifts for my friends. I started in August and finished five of them by November. It is a wide scarf so it would be a shawl as well. I used Loops & Threads Woolike yarn and in several colors. The Divas got to pick their colors. Mo took the the purple, Katy took the red, Linda the blue and Susan the rose. I kept the maroon for myself.

So here's the pattern:

Mo modeling the purple scarf


The Diva Scarf

A couple of things about the scarf. I used 72 stitches because the yarn I used is lace weight. You can use any yarn in your stash but you will need to adjust the number of stitches and the length of the scarf. The only thing you need to have is a number divisible by 3. 














MATERIALS
2 skeins Loops and Threads Woolike (85% Acrylic; 15% Nylon, 620m/678yds))
Size US 9 (2.75 mm) circular or straight needles
Yarn needle
Gauge: Not applicable
Size: Not applicable

Cast on 72 sts.

Work in garter stitch (knit every row) for 6 rows.


Row 1: K3 (Edge), *YO, K1, YO, k3tog* to last three stitches. K3.
Row 2: K3, P to last three stitches. K3.
Row 3: K3 (Edge), * k3tog, YO, K1, YO, * to last three stitches. K3.
Row 4: K3, P to last three stitches. K3.

Continue Rows 1-4 for desired length (I consider a good length the height of the person who will be wearing the scarf)

Work in garter stitch (knit every row) for 6 rows.


1 comment: