Sunday, January 14, 2018

Debating the Temperature Blanket

I started a temperature blanket this month. I have a heap of stash so I should be able to make it without having to buy anything. I used worsted yarns and a size 9 circular needle. (I like using circular needles even if the item is not in the round. That way, I never lose the other needle in the sofa) I cast on 250 stitches and worked the first two colors in garter stitch. I am going to use knitting pattern that is more fun after the border, but still debating it. I am considering a daisy stitch.

I noticed on Facebook that there is some criticism on why this is popular and why on earth would people would want to do it. A row a day? Work on it for a year? 

These questions crossed my mind too, but there is a part of my personality that loves lists and charts, and this blanket would fit in well. I record my knitting projects daily in my journal along with the color of the day, phase of the moon, and the writing prompt of the day. 

I will let you know how it goes. 

Here are my thoughts on it:

1. I recorded the high and low temperature in my daily calendar even though I hadn't started. I go to a website and record several days at a time. 
http://www.wunderground.com/

2. The mid-range temperatures are in green, so I changed the colors to match my purples and blues. -- because I like blues and purples best and I have more of these colors in my stash.

3. I don't feel obligated to do a row a day. I usually have several projects going at one time from complicated patterns to simple. If I want to do some mindless knitting, I can pick up the blanket and do a few rows. I have yet to change up to today.

4. I like seeing the results everyone is getting on their blankets, so I am glad to be on a Temperature Blanket Facebook page.

5. Not everyone is marking the temperatures from January 1. Some are using the first year of a child/grandchild or a year from another special date.

6. There are really no rules, so enjoy it.

7. It is rather addictive like so many other types of knitting.

8. If you don't see the reason to make temperature blanket, just don't do one. If you get tired of it, frog it.

9. You don't have to participate in making a blanket to enjoy the progress of others. 


No comments:

Post a Comment