Friday, December 29, 2017

That's One Good Ombre!

This Ombre is orange and blue, and if you like
in Denver Bronco country, this is a plus.
 I love this pattern. Mainly because I can use my favorite yarn to make it. I am currently working on the third hat using the ombre motif. It is a simple stranding pattern and a good first project for learning how to work with two colors.

I use Loops and Threads Woolike which is an acrylic yarn available at Michaels. I usually go to my local yarn store for most of my yarn, but I have to admit this yarn really has a hold on me. You can check out my Ravelry page on this project at
https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/easy-ombre-slouch-hat

Mr. Neary's pattern is included as a link on my Ravelry page. I made a few changes but it is essentially the same as Paul Neary's pattern. Feel free to use any of these changes -- or not -- as you would like. 

This is actually closer to the true colors.
I cast on 120 stitches instead of 112 because I like a little bit bigger hat for my guys (big heads and all -- lots of brains).  The pattern is in multiple of 4, so sizing is easy. My hats are around 23 inches instead of 22".

I also do a different brim. The one I do makes a double thickness around the ears for extra warmth. I cast on my 120 stitches and work in stockinette (knit every row since you are knitting in the round) for 4½ inches (don't worry about the edges curling; you will deal with that when you sew the thicknesses together). Next row: Purl one row (fold line). Go back to working in stockinette for 2½ inches. Now return to the original pattern for the rest of the hat.  


I made Ken's hat in maroon and navy. I don't think
he has taken the hat off since. He actually sleeps in
a hat so this is perfect for him.

1 comment: