Monday, February 21, 2011

Ian's Hat

I learned a long time ago that combining colors is not always my strength. I tend to stay with blues and purples and rarely go into the yellows and greens. So when my son's friend Ian wanted a hat with burnt orange and forest green with a checkerboard pattern, I just went ahead with it, even though I would not put these two colors together on my own. See? Colors are not my strength. I think it looks wonderful.

 

Materials:
Encore Worsted Weight 
   Amount: 1 skein of burnt orange (A) and forest green (B)S
   Knitting Gauge: 4 stitches = 1" on #9 needles

Needles: US8 and US9 circular 16-inch; one set US9 DPN or size needed to obtain gauge
   Stitch marker

 stitches = 1" on #9 needles

 Directions:
With smaller needle and color A, CO 88 stitches. Place marker and join, being careful not to twist.
Work K2, P2 rib for 2 inches.

Change to larger needles and add Color B. Knit one round.

Round 1-4: Using the stranded method of floating stitches along the back of the needle, k4 in Color A and K4 in Color B.
Round 5-8: Using the stranded method of floating stitches along the back of the needle, k4 in Color B and K4 in Color A.

Continue working rounds 1 through 8 for 8”, or desired length, ending with either round 4 or 8.

Knit one round with Color B. Fasten off.

With Color A, knit one round.
Next round: work in K2, P2 ribbing for 1”. 
Using the three needle bind off, bind off all stitches.
Weave in ends.
                                
Make Tassel as follows: (make 2)
Cut a piece of yarn from Color A about 12-15”.
Using a piece of cardboard measuring 4½” (no kidding, I used my cell phone), wrap Color A yarn around 10 times. Cut yard.
Using the pre-piece of yarn, insert the yarn under the tassel top and tie a double knot at the time. Remove the tassel from the cardboard
Using the rest of the yarn, wrap the yarn several times around the tassel about ½” from the top knot. Tie a knot. Using a needle, run the yarn ends to the top of the tassel and sew securely to the corner of the hat.

Wear it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment