Wednesday, July 22, 2026

The Lie of Variegated Yarn


So I go to the yarn store and see this wonderful skein of yarn. It is bright and compelling. The red is overwhelming and I have to have it. I know immediately I will use it to make a hat. I can't wait to get home to cast it on because it will make a bright and compelling hat. I might even have to buy another pair of circular needles because my current set of 3mm needles is being used on one of my many, many WIPs. (probably with another variegated yarn)

Within an hour or two, the thrill is gone. The brightness is muted by the other colors and it is no longer as compelling. Yes, it is still pretty, but it is not how my mind imagined the pattern would be. When the yarn is dyed, that bright red is in one area of the skein so it is concentrated and stands out. it is meant to fool you.

I know this.  

I never remember this in the yarn store.

I believe that there is a zone in every yarn store that temporarily erases this fact from your mind. That zone gets me every time.

However, I still like how this red-ish hat turned out. I just need to tie a string of yarn around my finger so I remember this the next time I go to the yarn store. Unfortunately, that string of yarn is probably colored in a bright and compelling color.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment