Sunday, January 15, 2023

No More Paper or Plastic in Colorado


 As of January 1, Colorado started charging for plastic bags at stores, including the grocery store.

I have a big bag of cotton yarn that I collected in anticipation of this. However, I really didn't like the feel of knitting with cotton, so the bag just sat in my craft room for the past several years (yes, years). So I finally decided to start using it up. I am on my third bag now. I seem to like the feel of it better now since there is a necessity. 

I am using a basic pattern. There are several free patterns on Ravelry for shopping bags, and they are very similar.

I cast on 24 stitches with size 9 circular needles and knit back and forth in stockinette (or garter stitch, your choice) until it is close to a square. Then I pick up stitches along the sides and bottom. I don't really count the stitches because exact numbers don't matter. 

I continue knitting in the round, increasing two stitches at each corner two or three times. Then just knit in stockinette for a couple of inches. 

I change to a larger needle, in my case size 11 and start the lace pattern:
Round 1: YO, k2tog for the entire round.
Round 2: Knit

I continue these 2 rounds for 12 to 14 inches. I then go back to stockinette for another couple of inches. 

Divide for handle. This is the first time (and only time) I actually count the stitches. I take the total stitches and subtract 24 stitches (handle is 12 stitches wide). I divide that total in half. 

Such as:

  136 total stitches
  - 24 
  112
/    2
   56

Next round: Knit 12 stitches. Bind off the next 56 stitches. Knit 12 and put those stitches on a holder and remove from needles. Bind off the next 56 stitches.

Change back to size 9 needles. Work in garter stitch back and forth (knit every row) until you have the length you want for the handle. Use a three-needle bind off with the stitches on the needle. Weave in the ends.

As you can see, it is pretty much "seat-of-your-pants" knitting. It's pretty forgiving and after you have made a few, the pattern is "in the bag!"




No comments:

Post a Comment