Saturday, January 16, 2021

The Lorne Hat- Just Basic, Simple Knitting Free Pattern


 My mom and grandmother taught me to knit before I was even in kindergarten. Therefore, I have been knitting for over 60 years. I have made hundreds and hundreds of items, including hats, socks, gloves, mittens, sweaters, shawls, scarves, etc., etc. I have done just about every style of knitting including lace, broiche, cables, etc., etc. I have made very complicated patterns where I have to followed every line of a pattern. I have made lace where I memorized the pattern after a few repeats. 

But there are times I just want to knit. Mindless straight knitting. No counting, no following a pattern, not even looking at the knitting while I am doing it. I am in that frame of mind right now. I have made four of these so far using Lion Brand Amazing Lace or Loops and Threads Woolike. You can even use sock yarn as well. I knit the brim for 10 inches. Then I knit the cast on edge with the live stitches. I then continue knitting until I feel that it is long enough and decrease around for the crown. 

Ok, here is the entire pattern. It is very simple and basic. 


Using 16" circular needles, cast on between 144, 152, 160, 168 stitches, depending on how big you want it or the size of needles. Just be sure the number of stitches is indivisible by 8. I have used needles sizes from 1 (2.5mm) to 4 (3.5mm). Like I told you, it is pretty mindless. Work stockinette stitch (knit every row) for 10 inches. Fold the cast on edge up to the live stitches and knit together. If you want the seam to show, knit in the back of the cast on row, as in the orange and purple hat. Do a wrap and turn as follows: move yarn to between then needles, slip the next stitch. Turn your work, slip the stitch back onto the left needle. Move the yarn to the back and proceed to knit back the other way).

If you want a smooth look, as in the blue hat, knit the front of the cast on row. Continue working in stockinette stitch for another four inches.


Now it is time to decrease for the crown. Divide the number of stitches by 8. For instance, if you have 152, the number is 19. (Yeah, I know -- you didn't know there would be math involved). Knit another round, placing a marker every 19 stitches (or whatever you can up with). In the next row, you will begin the deceases between the markers as follows: 

Next row: SSK, knit to two stitches before the next marker, K2tog. 
Next row, knit around. 


Change to double pointed needles (DPN) when needed. Here is another shortcut: I have used DPNs a size up or down (even more), depending on what I have on hand at the time. 

Continue until you have 3 (or 2 depending on the number you started with). Cut yarn and thread a yarn needle. Run through the remaining stitches and pull together (I often do this a couple of times. Weave in the ends and start the next one.

I know. I have two more started in case I get tired of one of the colors. I am also eyeing that mint green over there too.

No comments:

Post a Comment